Monday, January 17, 2011

Falcon Crest





Here's two majestic birds from that crate o' killer Doo-Wop from several months back. Weird, cause neither of these songs are particularly Doo-Wopy (Doo-Wopish!?) and are pretty much exceptions to the rule. In fact, one is a devistating blues rocker (59') w/ Ax effects in full, um, effect, whilst the Big-Wheel cut is about as close as I get to poppy (Poppish!?) soul (67') without pinchin' my nose closed and throwing up in my mouth a little bit (Better than somebody elses).



Fact: these Falcons are the same band, though with some decidedly incestious member-swappin', including Wilson 'The Pick" Pickett and Eddie "Knock on Wood" Floyd. Incidentally, listen for the chops of Lu Pine's 'Ohio Untouchables' (Pre Ohio Players) roundin' out the sound on the first first cut.


Swim - Falcons

I Can't Help It - Falcons

3 comments:

Holly said...

Thank you - I love all periods of the Falcons, and the bonus of the Ohio Untouchables / Robert Ward is awesome! In fact, anyone who likes this might want to track down the Relic cd "Robert Ward - Hot Stuff", which includes 'Swim' and many, many other wonderful things :-)

The RedBoy said...

Thanks Holly. I do dig that Relic reissue stuff. Especially the Acapella LPs they put out in the 70's Question: Did the Falcons do a song called Country Shack (I think it might have been a single on United Artists)? I tried to find it amongst the stacks for this post, but have considered that my failure to do so might be a direct result of my having made the whole thing up.

Holly said...

You are not making anything up, to wit:

http://mk-untiltherealthingcomesalong.blogspot.com/2008/08/ua-singles-collection-merry-go-round.html

Would love to hear, if you have!